- Why do I need to submit my application in one complete package?
Due to the volume of applications received we cannot be responsible for matching supporting documents to your application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- When is the deadline to submit my application?
June 30th for students applying upon completion of 3rd Year Rural Family Practice Clerkship, Integrated Community Clerkship or 4th Year Rural Electives.
September 30th for students applying upon admittance to UBC Medical School.
- How can I submit my application?
Your complete application package may be submitted by mail, courier or dropped off in person. It must be received by the REAP Program Assistant before 4:30pm on the application deadline. Applications will not be accepted via email or fax.
- Who should write my reference letters?
For applicants who are applying upon acceptance to UBC Medical School, at least one reference should be from a member of the community where you spent your formative years (not a classmate or colleague).
For applicants currently enrolled in medical school, at least one reference must be from your rural preceptor.
Don’t forget to remind your references to sign their letter.
- Can my reference email or mail you the reference letter?
No. Due to the volume of applications received we cannot be responsible for matching reference letters to your application. If your reference does not want you to read their letter, they should enclose it in a sealed envelope which you can include in your application package.
- How many awards are granted each year?
Starting in 2016, the Joint Standing Committee on Rural Issues has generously provided funding to REAP to grant up to 30 awards/year.
- When will I find out if I’ve been accepted?
Selection will be announced via email by September 1st for students applying upon completion of 3rd Year Rural Family Practice Clerkship, Integrated Community Clerkship or 4th Year Rural Electives.
Selection will be announced via email by December 1st for students applying upon admittance to UBC Medical School.
- How do I get my money?
You’ll be emailed a claim form and direct deposit form when selection is announced. Return the forms to Doctors of BC before the claim deadline.
- When is the deadline to submit my claim?
Claims must be submitted no later than 90 days after selection has been announced.
- Is the award considered taxable?
Yes, REAP payments are considered to be a taxable benefit and as such at T4A will be issued.
- If I’ve received the award in the past, can I apply again?
Yes. You may apply each time you meet the eligibility requirements to a maximum of once/year.
- Can I apply if I’m studying outside of BC?
No. The award is only available to UBC Medical Students.
- Who can I contact if I have a question that’s not answered here?
- Where can I find out more information about REAP?
Please visit http://rccbc.ca/rccbc/about-reap/reap-programs/