New Rural Physician CME Program
The New Rural Physician CME Program offers funding for new rural physicians to attend rurally relevant events. Funds may be accessed prior to commencing work in an Rural Subsidiary Agreement (RSA) Community and on a yearly basis for the first two years of rural practice.
Newly graduated UBC residents who have a formal commitment to begin practice in an RSA Community may apply for retro-active funding for the Rural Health Conference through this program provided they’ve accepted the position in their RSA community within the same fiscal year of completion of residency and attendance of the Conference.
- New rural physicians* must be in their first two years of rural practice in BC and have a formal commitment to practice in an RSA community.
- Must provide a letter from the local Chief of Staff which confirms the applicant’s commitment to the RSA community and that they are still within their first two years of rural practice in BC.
- The educational event(s) must occur after a formal commitment to practice in a rural community has been accepted.
* physicians returning to practice after a long-term leave who have limited access to other sources of CME funding may contact the REAP office to inquire about eligibility for this program.
- ACLS Recertification – reimbursement of the course fee to a maximum of $350; and
- Reimbursement of the course fee for one additional course to a maximum of $1,000. Available courses are listed below.
- Reimbursement of travel expenses to a maximum of $1,000^.
- Reimbursement of accommodation expenses up to $200/night for up to three nights. For accommodation with family/friends, a maximum of $75/night for up to three nights may be claimed.
Funds are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
^Please note that travel occurring outside of BC will be reimbursed up to the round trip equivalent cost of travel between your home community and Vancouver.
|Advanced Cardiac Life Support
|Advanced Cardiac Life Support – Recertification
|Advanced Cardiac Life Support – Experienced Provider
|Airway Interventions and Management in Emergencies
|Airway Interventions and Management in Emergencies – Update
|Advances in Labour and Risk Management
|Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics
|Advanced Pediatric Life Support
|Advanced Trauma Life Support
|Advanced Trauma Life Support Instructor
|Comprehensive Approach to Rural Emergencies
|Hands-On Orthopedic Course
|Emergency Department Echo
|Emergency Department Targeted Ultrasonography
|CAEP: Emergency Medicine Review
|Hands-On Ultrasound Education Program
|LEAP Core (Palliative Care)
|Pediatric Emergency Assessment, Recognition and Stabilization
|Pediatric Advanced Life Support
|Pediatric Advanced Life Support – Renewal
|Point of Care Ultrasound
|Rural Health Conference (RCCbc)
|Rural & Remote Emergency Medicine Rounds
|Rural POCUS Congress (UBC CPD)
|Simulation-assisted Emergency Medicine Procedures
|Ultrasound-Guided Emergency Medicine Procedures
Courses not listed here will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the REAP office to inquire about courses not listed here.
The application/claim form and all supporting documents must be submitted online within 90 days of completion of the courses or by March 31, whichever is sooner. Both courses must be completed within the same fiscal year in which the application is submitted. The fiscal year runs from April 1 – March 31.
For program inquiries contact:
REAP Senior Program Assistant
University of British Columbia
#300 – 5950 University Boulevard
Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z3
P: 604 827-1504
For claims and payments contact:
Doctors of BC
#115 – 1665 West Broadway
Vancouver, BC, V6J 5A4
TFP in BC: 1 800 665-2262
P: 604 736-5551