The Rural GP Anaesthesia Locum Program (RGPALP) assists general practitioners with enhanced anaesthesia skills (GPA) in eligible rural communities to secure subsidized leave from their practices for purposes such as CME, vacation, and health needs.
The Program: Host Physician Information
- Rural general practitioners who provide core anaesthesia services are eligible for locum coverage for up to a maximum of ten days per fiscal year.
- Each request must be at least two days in duration.
- To qualify, a host physician must have obtained training in the core anaesthesia service area; actively participate in providing on-call anaesthesia support; and live and practice medicine in an eligible RSA community with seven or fewer GPAs.
- Communities eligible for the RGPALP must not be eligible for the RGPLP.
To Obtain a Locum
- Contact the RGPALP using the contact information to request a Locum Assistance Form.
- The RGPALP arranges assignments and the health authority assists with facilitating hospital privileges.
Host Physician Responsibilities
- Provide the locum, in advance of the assignment, with a list of the responsibilities the host physician expects the locum to fulfill, as well as a written explanation of all payments and other supports the locum can expect to receive during and resulting from the locum assignment.
- Provide reasonable accommodation for the locum physician.
- Provide the locum with detailed information on the care and treatment of patients in hospital.
- Reimburse the locum for services not covered by MSP (i.e., private, ICBC, WCB, and reciprocal billings), less the amount recovered for overhead.
- Provide the locum with a detailed reconcilation of claims submitted.
- Ensure that the locum receives the on-call payment and retention premium, if applicable, from the health authority.
The Program: Locum Physician Information
- RGPALP locums are paid the following guaranteed daily rates based on community designation:
‘A’ Communities – $1,000
‘B’ Communities – $950
‘C’ Communities – $900
‘D’ Communities – 850
- In cases where a certified anaesthetist provides coverage for a GPA, he or she will be paid a guaranteed daily rate of $1,200.
- Locums are eligible to receive payment for on-call through MOCAP.
- For office-based assignments, locums must assign payment to the host physcians payment number.
- For on-call assignments, locums must apply for an additional payment number and bill all claims under that payment number for the duration of the assignment.
- Locums must cover at least the anaesthesia portion of the host physician’s practice.
Locum Physician Eligibility
- Contact the RGPLAP to request a Locum Application Form.
- Must be licensed to practice in British Columbia.
- Must have obtained training in the anaesthesia core service area.
- Must be formally credentialed and granted privileges by the applicable health authority to practice core anaesthesia services in a rural hospital.
- Must be a member in good standing with the Canadian Medical Protective Association or carry alternative medical malpractice insurance.
- Must not live or regularly provide core anaesthesia services in the rural community where the locum service is to be provided.
- Certificates in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) is preferred.
For more information, visit the BC Ministry of Health web site.