Clinton is located midway between Prince George and Vancouver in the Cariboo Chilcotin Coast Cariboo Chilcotin region, evoking an atmosphere of a gentler era. As a part of the vast Shuswap Territory, a thoroughfare for gold fortune, and a leather-tough ranching town, Clinton has led many past lives.
Clinton received its name in 1863 from Queen Victoria, who christened the town in honour of Lord Henry Pelham Clinton, Colonial Secretary to the British Government. Since then, Clinton has thrived by adapting to change (like many small communities in British Columbia). The gold rush “Junction” of the 1850s (between Cariboo Gold Rush Trail and Cariboo Wagon Road) became the hard-working cattle ranch town of the 1870s, became the soap soda and Epsom salts distributer of the 1940s, became the bush- and saw-mill town of the 1950s, and so on. Today, Clinton is an outdoor adventure destination in the Cariboo Chilcotin Coast region, marked by incredible geological variation.
Clinton enjoys the continental climate of the Shuswap. Seasons here are more pronounced than on the coast. Summers tend to be warmer and drier, while winters are colder but with far less precipitation.
Forestry, tourism, ranching, mining.
Town Population: 641 (2016 Census)
Health Administrative Information
Health Authority: Interior Health
Health Service Delivery Area: Thompson Cariboo Shuswap
Regional District: Thompson Nicola
Rural Designation: RSA community
RRP Designation: A
RRP Points: 22.65
Practitioners + Clinic information
There are no general practitioners yet in this community.
2012 socio-economic profile of South Cariboo (Source: BC Government).
The nearest health care facilities are located in Quesnel. Health Connections mobile service available by calling 250 344-5237.
Mobile mammography services are available in this community. See www.bccancer.bc.ca for details.
Home Care Nursing
WeCare Home Health Services
101 - 635 Victoria Street
Kamloops, BC V2C 2B3
P: 250-851-2911 | F: 250 545-9729
Mental Health and Addictions
Mental Health & Addictions Counselling
Clinton Health & Wellness Centre
1510 Cariboo Highway
Clinton, BC, V0K 1K0
P/F: 250 459-2080
- About RCCbc
- About the JSC
- About REAP
- Contact Us
- Education + CME/CPD
- Health career preparation
- Medical Students
- BC’s Distributed Residency Model
- Rural Resident Rotation Schedule
- Resident FAQs
- REAP for Residents
- R3 Enhanced Skills
- UBC RCPD
- Rural Courses
- Educational Calendar
- Practitioner support
- Rural Physicians
- REAP Programs
- JSC programs
- Rural Retention Program
- Rural Continuing Medical Education (RCME)
- Recruitment Incentive Fund (RIF)
- Recruitment Contingency Fund (RCF)
- Isolation Allowance Funds (IAF)
- Rural Emergency Enhancement Fund (REEF)
- Northern & Isolation Travel Assistance Outreach Program (NITAOP)
- San’yas: Indigenous Cultural Safety Training Program
- Doctors of BC rural programs
- Preceptor Training and Development
- Health Professionals
- Rural Communities
- RCCbc Initiatives
- Rural Health Services Support initiatives/Networks
- Knowledge-based initiatives
- Recruitment + Retention initiatives
- Rural Obstetrical and Maternity Sustainability Program (ROAM-SP)
- Grants and Awards
- Contact Us