Cortes is an island paradise, with beautiful lakes, lagoons, forests, and white sandy beaches. Known for its abundant wildlife, delicious shellfish, and self-sufficient people, Cortes offers visitors a wide variety of things to see and do.
The island is situated at the northern end of the Salish Sea (Strait of Georgia), on Canada’s west coast, between Vancouver Island and the British Columbia mainland.
The island currently has about 1,050 full-time residents, and most live on the southern portion. Cortes is approximately 25 km long and 13 km wide. Gorge Harbour has a marina, and there are government wharves at Cortes Bay, Whaletown, Squirrel Cove, Manson’s Landing, and Gorge Harbour.
Cortes Island can be reached via a 40-minute ferry ride from Quadra Island which in turn is accessed by a shorter 10 minute ferry crossing from the City of Campbell River on Vancouver Island. Look online at www.discoveryislands.ca for more information on this fantastic community!
There are approximately 1,035 full-time residents in this community. (2016 Census) Additional people live on Cortes Island during the summer.
Health Administrative Information
Health Authority: Island Health Authority Rural designation: RSA community
The Cortes Health Centre is a community health centre that is owned and operated by the Cortes Community Health Association.
There is a laboratory on site. The centre also offers public health outreach services.
Cortes Health Centre PO Box 59, 941 Beasley Road Manson's Landing, BC V0P 1K0 P: 250 935-6718 Hrs: Mon-Fri 9 am – 12 noon, 1 pm - 4 pm For After Hours Emergency call 911 or 250-935-6718 for doctor on call.
Cortes Health Centre PO Box 59, 941 Beasley Road Manson's Landing, BC V0P 1K0 P: 250 935-6718 Hrs: Mon, Wed 7:30 am - 8:30 am
Public Health Nursing Services Public Health Programs 200 - 1100 Island Highway Campbell River, BC V9W 8C6 P: 250 850-2116 | F: 250 850-2454
- About RCCbc
- About the JSC
- About REAP
- Contact Us
- Education + CME/CPD
- Health career preparation
- Medical Students
- UBC RCPD
- Rural Courses
- Educational Calendar
- Practitioner support
- Rural Physicians
- REAP Programs
- JSC programs
- Rural Retention Program
- Rural Continuing Medical Education (RCME)
- Recruitment Incentive Fund (RIF)
- Recruitment Contingency Fund (RCF)
- Isolation Allowance Funds (IAF)
- Rural Emergency Enhancement Fund (REEF)
- Northern & Isolation Travel Assistance Outreach Program (NITAOP)
- San’yas: Indigenous Cultural Safety Training Program
- Doctors of BC rural programs
- Preceptor Training and Development
- Health Professionals
- Rural Communities
- RCCbc Initiatives
- Rural Health Services Support initiatives/Networks
- Knowledge-based initiatives
- Recruitment + Retention initiatives
- Rural Obstetrical and Maternity Sustainability Program (ROAM-SP)
- Grants and Awards
- Contact Us