Thank you for your interest in being an eMentor! You are helping inspire rural youth to pursue Health Sciences!
Why be a mentor?
- Be a positive role model for rural youth
- Learn new skills such as: communication, working with youths, leadership, developing positive relationships, self-reflection
What to expect
- Create a profile to help the e-Mentoring team match you with a mentee.
- Go through 8 Personal Quests with your mentee. Play games, watch videos, and do fun activities to help your mentee learn about study habits, how to “adult”, and life after high school.
- Give advice and encouragement and share personal experiences with your mentee as they work through their Personal Quests.
- Commit 2-3 hours per week to chatting with your mentee.
- To facilitate trust, we ask that you respond to your mentee within 3 days.
- eMentoring relationships last between a school semester to a school year.
- Rural high school students throughout BC
- Grades 8-12
- Enroll as mentees through school courses or afterschool programs
- Some students might not be interested in heath sciences or post-secondary, but that’s okay! You can still give them advice on how to navigate high school, how to “adult”, life in the city, and much more.
What if I don’t have time one week, or need to take a break (to study, go on vacation, are sick, etc)?
No problem! Just let your mentee know, so they don’t think you abandoned them.
I have no experience mentoring! Is that okay?
Of course! We will train you in mentoring best practices, how to talk to teens, and much more.
Do mentees know my personal information?
The ReMBC team makes sure that both mentees and mentors DO NOT share personal information, including last names, email addresses, phone numbers and social media.
How to sign up:
- Contact us
- The eMentoring team will ask you to complete a background check and provide 2 references.
- We then schedule a phone interview.
- If you are successful, then you are entered into our pool of potential mentors. Mentors and mentees are match based on common interests and experiences, so there is no guarantee that you will be matched with a mentee during a given intake.