Holberg is located 42 km west of Port Hardy at the head of Holberg Inlet. Port Hardy is the closest commercial Airport providing flights to Vancouver, Victoria, Nanaimo and many coastal communities.
Holberg was established in the early 1900s by hardy Danish colonists headed inland from windswept coastal settlements who named their new village after Baron Ludwig Holberg, a distinguished historian and dramatist.
Once the site of the world’s largest floating logging camp, Holberg is now entirely land-based.
The route to this small hamlet of 200 people passes brilliant blue lakes and forested valleys. The area’s lakes and waterways are well protected for boating and kayaking.
Keep your camera handy, as the northern region of Vancouver Island is a remarkable area teeming with wildlife, and the chances of seeing bear and deer are good.
Town Population: 35 (2016 Census)
Health Authority: Island Health
There are no general practitioners yet in this community.
The nearest health services are located in Port Hardy.
- About RCCbc
- About the JSC
- About REAP
- Contact Us
- Education + CME/CPD
- Health career preparation
- Medical Students
- BC’s Distributed Residency Model
- Rural Resident Rotation Schedule
- Resident FAQs
- REAP for Residents
- R3 Enhanced Skills
- UBC RCPD
- Rural Courses
- Health Authority CME/CPD Resources
- Educational Calendar
- Practitioner support
- Rural Physicians
- REAP Programs
- JSC programs
- Rural Retention Program
- Rural Continuing Medical Education (RCME)
- Recruitment Incentive Fund (RIF)
- Recruitment Contingency Fund (RCF)
- Isolation Allowance Funds (IAF)
- Rural Emergency Enhancement Fund (REEF)
- Northern & Isolation Travel Assistance Outreach Program (NITAOP)
- San’yas: Indigenous Cultural Safety Training Program
- Doctors of BC rural programs
- Preceptor Training and Development
- Health Professionals
- Rural Communities
- RCCbc Initiatives
- Rural Health Services Support initiatives/Networks
- Knowledge-based initiatives
- Recruitment + Retention initiatives
- Rural Site Visits Project
- Grants and Awards
- Contact Us