Due to physical distancing measures, REAP staff is working remotely. During this time, please submit any application or claim forms by email instead of mail. If you have submitted an application or claim form by mail and have not received a response from our office, please contact us at REAPPhysicians@familymed.ubc.ca. Please include the approximate postage date, the nature of your communication and the name of the REAP Program your communication was regarding.
The Rural Locum CME program makes funding available to GP, GPA and Specialist locum physicians to take rurally-relevant courses. The physician must be accepted by Locums for Rural BC prior to course commencement and application to the Rural Locum CME Program and be willing to provide a minimum of ten days of service to Locums for Rural BC within one year of completion of the course.
- Must have proof of acceptance into one of the Rural Locum Programs administered by Locums for Rural BC prior to course commencement and application to the Rural Locum CME Program.
- The course(s) must be taken during the fiscal year in which the application is submitted. The fiscal year runs from April 1 – March 31.
- Locum physicians may access funding prior to providing service to Locums for Rural BC.
- Newly graduated UBC residents who are members of Locums for Rural BC may apply for retro-active funding for the Rural Health Conference (as the additional course) through this program provided they’ve been accepted by Locums for Rural BC within the same fiscal year of completion of residency and attendance of the Conference.
- ACLS Recertification – reimbursement of the course fee to a maximum of $350.
- Plus reimbursement of the course fee for one additional course to a maximum of $1,000. Available courses are listed in the table below.
- Reimbursement of travel expenses to a maximum of $1,000.*
- Reimbursement of accommodation expenses up to $200/night for up to three nights. For accommodation with family/friends, a maximum of $75/night for up to three nights may be claimed.
- Funds are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
*Please note that travel occurring outside of BC will be reimbursed up to the round trip equivalent cost of travel between your home community and Vancouver. For physicians providing service to Locums for Rural BC who do not reside in BC, applications will be handled on a case-by-case basis to determine eligible reimbursement – the travel reimbursement may be capped at $600.
To learn more about joining the one of the Rural Locum Programs, please contact Locums for Rural BC.
|Course Name||Course Description|
|ACLS||Advanced Cardiac Life Support|
|ACLS Update||Advanced Cardiac Life Support – Recertification|
|ACLS-EP||Advanced Cardiac Life Support – Experienced Provider|
|AIME||Airway Interventions and Management in Emergencies|
|AIME||Airway Interventions and Management in Emergencies – Update|
|ALARM||Advances in Labour and Risk Management|
|ALSO||Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics|
|APLS||Advanced Pediatric Life Support|
|ATLS||Advanced Trauma Life Support|
|CARE||Comprehensive Approach to Rural Emergencies|
|CASTED||Hands-On Orthopedic Course|
|EDTU||Emergency Department Targeted Ultrasonography|
|EMR||CAEP: Emergency Medicine Review|
|HOUSE||Hands-On Ultrasound Education Program|
|PEARS||Pediatric Emergency Assessment, Recognition and Stabilization|
|PALS||Pediatric Advanced Life Support|
|PALS||Pediatric Advanced Life Support – Renewal|
|PoCUS||Point of Care Ultrasound|
|RHC||Rural Health Conference (RCCbc)|
|RnR Rounds*||Rural & Remote Emergency Medicine Rounds|
|SEMP||Simulation-assisted Emergency Medicine Procedures|
* a similar program is being developed at Lion’s Gate Hospital. This course will also be supported.
Courses not listed here will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the REAP office to inquire about courses not listed here.
Return of Service Obligation:
- Ten days of service to Locums for Rural BC within one year of completion of the course(s).