The Choices in Practice and Parenting Discussion Group is a listserv for physicians, residents, and medical students. Its goal is to provide a forum for parents and prospective parents to discuss practice and parenting, in particularly in the context of rural medicine.
The discussion group will cover a variety of topics, including:
- Discussion of issues relevant to current and prospective families in medical practice (and in particular, rural practice).
- Questions and advice about starting and raising a family as a physician in a rural practice.
- Anecdotes about practice and parenting that others might find helpful.
- Sharing and discussion of articles and other publications regarding parenting in rural communities (preferably evidence-based).
- Discussion of systemic challenges to balancing parenting and practice, such as daycare access, physician benefits, and call, and how those might be overcome.
- Notification of opportunities for networking, education, and community organization of support services and resources for parents.
- Discussion of the costs and benefits of delaying childbirth until later in your career versus having children earlier, and strategies for creating balance and mitigating risk in either decision.
Periodically, there will be updates on the progress and discussions of the Choices in Practice and Parenting Interest Group.