The Rural Skills Upgrade Program provides funding for upfront skills enhancement training of physicians who are new or returning to rural practice or members of Locums for Rural BC (formerly the Rural GP Locum Program, Rural GPA Locum Program or Rural Specialist Locum Program) looking to prepare for the challenges of rural practice in BC.
Training may be obtained prior to commencing work in an RSA Community or prior to providing service to Locums for Rural BC.
Training opportunities available under this program are flexible in timing and may be up 20 days in length per fiscal year and are usually in the form of one-on-one preceptorships. Funding for courses and conferences is not available through the Rural Skills Upgrade. Locum Physicians may access funding for selected courses through the Rural Locum CME Program.
New or Returning Rural Physicians must have:
- a formal commitment to practice in a RSA community
- a letter of support from the local Chief of Staff that confirms community commitment
- a letter of support from the health authority regional medical director (or equivalent)
Locum physicians must:
- be accepted by Locums for Rural BC prior to applying for funding
- complete a return of service to Locums for Rural BC within one year of completion of training. The return of service commitment must be twice as long as the training commitment
- $3,400 per week stipend to cover income loss, overhead, or tuition
- reimbursement up to $2,000 for travel costs
- up to $1,000 per week for accommodation, or a boarding cost in the amount of $75 per day
Funds for the RSUP will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
REAP will not provide funding for courses or conferences, training received outside of BC unless previously approved, or training not relevant to the REAP approved training plan.
The application form and all supporting documents must be submitted prior to training, buy may be accepted up to one week prior to the end of the fiscal year in which the training began. The fiscal year runs from April 1 – March 31.