The Rural Locum CME Program makes funding available to members of Locums for Rural BC to take rurally-relevant courses. The physician must be accepted by Locums for Rural BC prior to course commencement and application to the Rural Locum CME Program and be willing to provide a minimum of ten days of service to Locums for Rural BC within one year of completion of the course.
- Must have proof of acceptance into one of the Rural Locum Programs administered by Locums for Rural BC prior to course commencement and application to the Rural Locum CME Program.
- The course(s) must be taken during the fiscal year in which the application is submitted. The fiscal year runs from April 1 – March 31.
- Locum physicians may access funding prior to providing service to Locums for Rural BC.
- Newly graduated UBC residents who are members of Locums for Rural BC may apply for retro-active funding for the Rural Health Conference (as the additional course) through this program provided they’ve been accepted by Locums for Rural BC within the same fiscal year of completion of residency and attendance of the Conference.
- ACLS Recertification – reimbursement of the course fee to a maximum of $350.
- Plus reimbursement of the course fee for one additional course to a maximum of $1,000. Available courses are listed in the table below.
- Reimbursement of travel expenses to a maximum of $1,000.*
- Reimbursement of accommodation expenses up to $200/night for up to three nights. For accommodation with family/friends, a maximum of $75/night for up to three nights may be claimed.
- Funds are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
*Please note that travel occurring outside of BC will be reimbursed up to the round trip equivalent cost of travel between your home community and Vancouver. For physicians providing service to Locums for Rural BC who do not reside in BC, applications will be handled on a case-by-case basis to determine eligible reimbursement – the travel reimbursement may be capped at $600.
To learn more about joining the one of the Rural Locum Programs, please contact Locums for Rural BC.
|Course Name||Course Description|
|ACLS||Advanced Cardiac Life Support|
|ACLS Update||Advanced Cardiac Life Support – Recertification|
|ACLS-EP||Advanced Cardiac Life Support – Experienced Provider|
|AIME||Airway Interventions and Management in Emergencies|
|AIME||Airway Interventions and Management in Emergencies – Update|
|ALARM||Advances in Labour and Risk Management|
|ALSO||Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics|
|APLS||Advanced Pediatric Life Support|
|ATLS||Advanced Trauma Life Support|
|ATLS Instructor||Advanced Trauma Life Support Instructor|
|CARE||Comprehensive Approach to Rural Emergencies|
|CASTED||Hands-On Orthopedic Course|
|EDE||Emergency Department Echo|
|EDTU||Emergency Department Targeted Ultrasonography|
|EMR||CAEP: Emergency Medicine Review|
|HOUSE||Hands-On Ultrasound Education Program|
|PEARS||Pediatric Emergency Assessment, Recognition and Stabilization|
|PALS||Pediatric Advanced Life Support|
|PALS||Pediatric Advanced Life Support – Renewal|
|PoCUS||Point of Care Ultrasound|
|RHC||Rural Health Conference (RCCbc)|
|RnR Rounds*||Rural & Remote Emergency Medicine Rounds|
|SEMP||Simulation-assisted Emergency Medicine Procedures|
|UGEMP||Ultrasound-Guided Emergency Medicine Procedures|
* a similar program is being developed at Lion’s Gate Hospital. This course will also be supported.
Courses not listed here will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the REAP office to inquire about courses not listed here.
Return of Service Obligation:
- Ten days of service to Locums for Rural BC within one year of completion of the course(s).
The application/claim form and all supporting documents must be submitted online within 90 days of completion of the courses or by March 31, whichever is sooner. Both courses must be completed within the same fiscal year in which the application is submitted. The fiscal year runs from April 1 – March 31.
For program inquiries contact:
REAP Senior Program Assistant
University of British Columbia
300 – 5659 University Blvd
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z3
P: (604) 827-1504
For claims and payments contact:
Doctors of BC
#115 – 1665 West Broadway
Vancouver, BC, V6J 5A4
TFP in BC: 1 800 665-2262
P: 604 736-5551