Nestled quietly in a protected inlet on the south shore of Barkley Sound, the community of Bamfield invites you to share in the spectacular beauty of Vancouver Island’s virgin coast. Originally settled by the Huu-ay-aht First Nation, Bamfield has managed to accept many modern conveniences without compromising the pioneer spirit of this remote community.
It’s a quiet, unassuming village where the love of the land and sea prevails. Located in the heart of Canada’s Pacific Rim National Park, Bamfield’s parkland is like none other in the world. Whether you fish or hike, beach comb or bird watch, there is an adventure for you!
Explore the rain forest, deserted beaches, uninhabited islands, rugged coastline, and world class diving. It’s the perfect setting for your adventure vacation. Here in the Barkley Sound you will find more Tyees than anywhere on the west coast! Salmon isn’t the only fish in the ocean—halibut and cod also promise thrilling catches.
For more information on this beautiful BC location visit the Bamfield Chamber of Commerce website.
Town Population: 179 (2016 Census)
There are no in-community health services in Bamfield.
The nearest hospital accessible via logging road is Duncan.
The nearest hospital accessible via air is Port Alberni.
- About RCCbc
- About the JSC
- About REAP
- Contact Us
- Education + CME/CPD
- Health career preparation
- Medical Students
- BC’s Distributed Residency Model
- Rural Resident Rotation Schedule
- Resident FAQs
- REAP for Residents
- R3 Enhanced Skills
- UBC RCPD
- Rural Courses
- Educational Calendar
- Practitioner support
- Rural Physicians
- REAP Programs
- JSC programs
- Rural Retention Program
- Rural Continuing Medical Education (RCME)
- Recruitment Incentive Fund (RIF)
- Recruitment Contingency Fund (RCF)
- Isolation Allowance Funds (IAF)
- Rural Emergency Enhancement Fund (REEF)
- Northern & Isolation Travel Assistance Outreach Program (NITAOP)
- San’yas: Indigenous Cultural Safety Training Program
- Doctors of BC rural programs
- Preceptor Training and Development
- Health Professionals
- Rural Communities
- RCCbc Initiatives
- Rural Health Services Support initiatives/Networks
- Knowledge-based initiatives
- Recruitment + Retention initiatives
- Rural Obstetrical and Maternity Sustainability Program (ROAM-SP)
- Grants and Awards
- Contact Us