Due to physical distancing measures, REAP staff is working remotely. During this time, please submit any application or claim forms by email instead of mail. If you have submitted an application or claim form by mail and have not received a response from our office, please contact us at REAPPhysicians@familymed.ubc.ca. Please include the approximate postage date, the nature of your communication and the name of the REAP Program your communication was regarding.
The purpose of this program is to improve rural physician retention and skills by increasing opportunities to receive advanced training and skill enhancement. Training opportunities under this program are flexible in timing. Rural physicians are eligible to apply for up to 60 days of funding per fiscal year.
Applicants are encouraged to consult with their Hospital Chief of Staff and Regional Medical Director regarding their proposed training plan, the impact it may have on local medical staff while away, and the expectation that the applicant will return to their rural community upon completion of training.
- Physicians who have been practicing in a RSA community for at least nine months of the past year.
- Physicians who are returning to practice after a leave such as parental leave, long-term illness or disability and have a formal commitment to practice in an RSA Community.
- Letters from the community and health authority confirming that the skill is needed in the community.
- $950 per day stipend to cover income loss.
- $90 per day is to be paid to the primary preceptor, from the weekly stipend.
- Travel costs up to $2,000 for the duration of the training period.
- Up to $200 per training day for accommodation.
Funds are allocated on a first-come first-serve basis. REAP will not provide funding for courses or conferences, training received outside of BC unless previously approved, or training not relevant to the REAP approved training plan even in cases where other funding sources have been exhausted.
The application form and all supporting documents must be submitted prior to training, but may be accepted up to one week prior to the end of the fiscal year in which the training began. The fiscal year runs from April 1 – March 31.
For program inquiries contact:
Advanced Skills & Training Program Application Form (Download and open in Acrobat to enable fillable fields in this form)