Beginning January 1, 2020, the New Rural Physician CME Program will offer funding for new rural physicians to attend rurally-relevant events.
- New rural physicians* must be in their first two years of rural practice in BC and have a formal commitment to practice in an RSA community.
- Commitment and commencement of practice in the rural community must be verified by a letter from the local Chief of Staff.
- The educational event(s) must occur during the fiscal year in which the application is submitted. The fiscal year runs from April 1 – March 31.
- The educational event(s) must occur after a formal commitment to practice in a rural community has been accepted.
- Funds may be accessed prior to commencing work in an RSA Community and on a yearly basis for the first two years of rural practice.
- Newly graduated UBC residents who have a formal commitment to begin practice in an RSA Community may apply for retro-active funding for the Rural Health Conference (as the additional course) through this program provided they’ve accepted the position in their RSA community within the same fiscal year of completion of residency and attendance of the Conference.
* physicians returning to practice after a long-term leave who have limited access to other sources of CME funding may contact the REAP office to inquire about eligibility for this program.
- ACLS Recertification – reimbursement of the course fee to a maximum of $350;
- plus reimbursement of the course fee for one additional course to a maximum of $1,000. Available courses are listed below.
- Reimbursement of travel expenses to a maximum of $1,000^.
- Reimbursement of accommodation expenses up to $200/night for up to three nights. For accommodation with family/friends, a maximum of $75/night for up to three nights may be claimed.
- Funds are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
^Please note that travel occurring outside of BC will be reimbursed up to the round trip equivalent cost of travel between your home community and Vancouver.
|Course Name||Course Description|
|ACLS||Advanced Cardiac Life Support|
|ACLS Update||Advanced Cardiac Life Support – Recertification|
|ACLS-EP||Advanced Cardiac Life Support – Experienced Provider|
|AIME||Airway Interventions and Management in Emergencies|
|AIME||Airway Interventions and Management in Emergencies – Update|
|ALARM||Advances in Labour and Risk Management|
|ALSO||Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics|
|APLS||Advanced Pediatric Life Support|
|ATLS||Advanced Trauma Life Support|
|CARE||Comprehensive Approach to Rural Emergencies|
|CASTED||Hands-On Orthopedic Course|
|EDTU||Emergency Department Targeted Ultrasonography|
|EMR||CAEP: Emergency Medicine Review|
|HOUSE||Hands-On Ultrasound Education Program|
|PEARS||Pediatric Emergency Assessment, Recognition and Stabilization|
|PALS||Pediatric Advanced Life Support|
|PALS||Pediatric Advanced Life Support – Renewal|
|PoCUS||Point of Care Ultrasound|
|RHC||Rural Health Conference (RCCbc)|
|RnR Rounds*||Rural & Remote Emergency Medicine Rounds|
|SEMP||Simulation-assisted Emergency Medicine Procedures|
* a similar program is being developed at Lion’s Gate Hospital. This course will also be supported.
Courses not listed here will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the REAP office to inquire about courses not listed here.